Friday, May 20, 2011

Estuaries

Estuaries are partially enclosed bodies of water formed where rivers usually meet the sea and are relied on by many animals and even humans.  The landward limit of an estuary is defined by salinity.  They are the most productive natural systems due to the mixing of land and sea nutrients.  People rely on estuaries for fishing, swimming, boating, wildlife viewing, and learning.  There are a wide variety of animals that live in the estuary environment such as the Brooding sea anemone, bubble shell, hermit crabs, mud shrimp, cutthroat trout, chum salmon, damsel fly, and the green darner. All of these animals work together to keep the balance of life in estuaries.  I learned all of this information when I took a tour at Chesapeake Bay, I mean at first I thought  it was going to be like really boring but I was actually very interested in all of it.  I can't wait to check out Galveston Bay next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment